Miriam Suzanne is a product manager, user-experience designer, writer, speaker, and open source developer.
From building beautiful sites to maintaining complex design systems across applications, CSS is the web-language of design. Like all web languages, Cascading Style Sheets have come a long way since their early inception – providing powerful and dynamic tools for cross-browser and cross-device interface design.
Miriam will introduce a variety of new and advanced CSS techniques, along with practical use-cases, integrations, and pitfalls. You’ll learn how to manage CSS variables, grids, calculations, support queries, and more – but understanding the syntax is only a start. We’ll talk about building a robust code architecture with CSS-driven design systems, passing data between JS and CSS, and combining modern techniques to solve real, everyday interface problems.
In this workshop, you’ll learn:
- Modern CSS Features: custom properties (variables), calc, grids, flexbox, writing modes, advanced media & support queries, and more
- Building powerful interactions between CSS and JS
- Combining techniques to solve practical problems, from layout and theming to interaction and data visualization
- Common gotchas and work-arounds
- Using Sass to write more meaningful and maintainable systems
- CSS & Sass architecture patterns that scale
- Writing Sass & CSS for design systems & pattern-library automation
The workshop is intended for professional front-end developers with experience in HTML and CSS.